New Type Approval Procedure comes into effect on 16/12/2020
On 09th October the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (TRC) in Sri Lanka issued “Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (RTTE) Type Approval Rules 2020” in the official Gazette coming into force on 16th December 2020.
- Accordingly, two type approval procedures were introduced:
Standard Type Approval: a represantive sample of RTTE should be submitted accompied by a Technical Construction File (TCF)
Simplified Type Approval is applicable for: RTTE that appears on the Commission’s Type Approval Register which was previously approved by the Commission at the time the original application was made. The applicants should ensure that the RTTE applied for is identical to the RTTE which was already approved.
The type Approval for any particular RTTE shall be valid for a period of four (4) years, provided that the type Approved RTTE (supplied to the market) maintains the same technical specifications including the operating frequency.
- Labelling requirements has become mandatory for approved equipments
- TRC has also published a list of equipment exempt from type approval:
- A short range infrared remote control equipment (including TV remote controls or garage door openers)
- RTTE which is embedded in desktop computers and Laptops that use short-range radio technologies such as Wifi or Bluetooth
- transmitter equipment with an output power below 50 mW
- RTTE installed in vehicles such as car navigation units or remote car keys that use short range technologies such as WiFi or Bluetooth