Type Approval Guidelines Issued
The Ministry of Information & Communication (MIC) of Tonga released an Official Guideline. Accordingly, all communication equipment with radio or satellite technology require Type Approval by MIC prior to being imported and marketed for use in Tonga.
Equipment is exempted from the requirement as follows:
- Receiver-only radio equipment intended to be used solely for the reception of sound (radio) and terrestrial TV broadcasting services, including satellite dishes and aerials
- Laptops, personal computers, tablets, and car radios with short range radio technology such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Digital displays or LCD screens for digital cameras, printers, car audios
- Short range (up to 50 meters) infrared remote control equipment, including TV remote controls, toys, car or garage door openers, etc.
- Terminal equipment used by licensed radio amateurs for personal use