- Local Representative
- Validity Period of Certification
- ∞ Months
- Average lead time for radio type approval
- 6 Weeks
- Certificate example (pdf, 475.92K)
Example label for India
- BIS LabelIndiaRequirements (pdf, 218.48K)
WPC ETA Certification
Radio Frequency Certification for India
All about WPC Approval and ETA
- Who is responsible for market approval for products with wireless technology in India?
The Wireless Planning and Coordination Department (WPC) of the Indian Ministry of Communications was established in 1952 and is responsible for managing the frequency spectrum, including licensing, in India.
- Is the European CE label sufficient as product approval for India?
No, the European CE marking is not sufficient for foreign manufacturers' wireless equipment in India. However, the conformity testing of the WPC is based on the requirements of the ETSI (EU) and/or FCC test reports. Therefore, these test reports must be part of the technical documentation submitted for the WPC.
- What products require WPC certification in India?
In general, most wireless products that can receive and transmit signals require WPC certification. These include devices that use Bluetooth and WiFi technology, as well as mobile phones, tablets, laptops, and smartwatches. Telecommunication equipment that is also connected to the Indian public network must apply for a Telecommunication Permit issued by the Telecommunication Engineering Center (TEC).
- How long does it take to get a WPC certification?
The timeframe for obtaining a certification for wireless devices in India depends on the completeness of the application and varies from case to case. Generally, it takes about 4-8 weeks to process and issue the certificate after all required documents are submitted.
- Are local tests required for India for products with radio technology?
Yes, testing in an accredited RF testing laboratory in India is required. Factory inspection, on the other hand, is not required for WPC ETA approval.
- Do we need a domestic representative in India for market approval?
An Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) is always required to submit an application for WPC certification. This representative in India, authorized by the manufacturer, serves as the contact person for the regulatory authorities and is responsible for submitting the applications.
- How long is a product certification valid for India?
The WPC ETA certificate remains valid throughout the life of the product. However, in the event of product changes, such as changes to the product configuration, adjustments to the product design (e.g. the installation of an additional radio module) or changes to a central "key component" (e.g. a wireless element), a renewed certification obligation may occur.
Further Certifications for India
- What is BIS Certification for India?
BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) certification is a mandatory electrical and electronic safety mark in India. To obtain it, an Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) sends product samples to a BIS-approved lab for testing. After successful testing, the AIR applies for type approval through the BIS website.
- What is TEC Certification for India?
Telecommunication devices connecting to the Indian Public Network require Telecommunication approval from the Telecommunication Engineering Center (TEC). TEC provides Essential Requirements (ER) for specific equipment types.
- What is BEE Certification for India?
BEE (Bureau of Energy Efficiency) certification in India establishes energy consumption limits or minimum efficiency levels for products. Upon compliance, appliances receive Star Rating Labels ranging from 1 to 5 based on design and performance.
Everything you need to know about Product Certification
Download our comprehensive guide now, which shows you all the requirements for successful certification. Learn all about administrative and technical documents, as well as country-specific requirements.
Regulatory News for India
- 2022-07-07MTCTE: Amendments to Mandatory Testing and CertificationThe Telecommunication Engineering Centre in the Republic of India has newly issued amendments to obligatory testing and certification of telecommunication equipment. »read more
- 2021-06-07Update MTCTE ProcedureOn 24 May, the Telecommunication Engineering Centre (TEC) of India released an updated version 2.1 of the Mandatory Testing and Certification of Telecom Equipment (MTCTE) Procedure. The main changes consist in a complement of the following... »read more
- 2020-10-15Publication of Devices subject to BIS approvalIndian Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) released a list of products that are subject for BIS The MEITY in India decided on 1 OCT 2020 that BIS approval is required for following products: Wireless microphone, Digital Camera, Video Camera, Webcam,... »read more
General Information about India
If you need more country information, create a free TAMSys account and benefit of even more useful information.
Our offers and services may vary depending on the country. Please contact us for specific details.
Radar 24 GHz, 64 GHz, 77 GHz, 79 GHz, UWB
Radio key 315 MHz, 433 MHz, 868 MHz
Keyless Go 125 kHz, 13,56 MHz
Tire pressure sensors 125 kHz, 315 MHz, 433 MHz, 868 MHz
Entertainment 2,4 GHz
Radar 64 GHz, Tank Level, Position radar
Wireless-M-Bus 315 MHz, 433 MHz, 868 MHz
Wireless-CAN-Bus 2.4 GHz
RFID + NFC 125 kHz, 13.56 MHz, 868 MHz
UWB Devices 24 GHz, 60 GHz, 79 GHz
WirelessHD 60 GHz
WLAN 2.4GHz, 3 GHz, 5 GHz, 10 GHz
Bluetooth 2.4 GHz
Zigbee 868 MHz, 2.4 GHz