New regulator of telecommunications devices
The Ethiopian Communications Authority (ECA) is the regulatory authority for Communications Services in Ethiopia.
Its scope of regulation covers both Telecommunications Services and Postal Services within Ethiopia.
The ECA was established recently by the Communications Services Proclamation No. 1148/2019 as an independent Federal Government Authority, with a commitment to facilitate the restructuring, the development and the integration of the Telecommunications, Information and Communications Technology (ICT.
The responsibilities of the ECA entails but are not limited to:
- Issuing licenses in the communications services sector, including telecommunications, postal, and courier services, and supervise operators of communications service;
- Specifying technical standards for the provision of communications service;
- Regulating tariffs relating to communications service;
- Regulating types of telecommunication equipment that may be connected to a telecommunication network;
- Managing the use of Radio Frequency spectrum in Ethiopia;
- Safeguarding the interest of consumers of communications service;
- Promoting information security, data privacy and protection;
- Monitoring the activities of licensees to ensure that communications services confirm to the specified standards of quality, and enforce compliance with the license terms and conditions as well as regulatory laws, regulations and directives
Also important to know: all Approval certificates issued in the by the Ministry of Innovation and Technology (MICT) will remain valid.
In the transition phase there may be delays in issuing of certificates