Canada Updates Regulation for Vehicular Radars
Canada has released two updated Radio Standards Specifications (RSS) for vehicular radars:
- RSS-220 Devices Using Ultra-Wideband (UWB) Technology
- from 2019-07-31 onwards, UWB radars at 22-29 GHz cannot be certfified anymore
- beginning 2022, such radars basically cannot be used/sold/manufactured (but should be replaced by W-band devices)
- RSS-251 Vehicular Radar and Airport Fixed or Mobile Radar in the 76-81 GHz Frequency Band
- most importantly, the band has been expanded to include 77-81 GHz (thus globally harmonized)
- it is licence-exempt
- The average e.i.r.p. shall be done by a power averaging detector (1 MHz resolution) and the power shall be integrated over the occupied bandwidth; the total average e.i.r.p. shall not exceed 50 dBm over the occupied bandwidth.
Comments can still be submitted via the Gazette Notice SMSE-012-18. French versions are available on-site as well.