South AfricaActualisation of Labeling Regulations
The ICASA (Independent Communication Authority South Africa) released notice 872 on late August 2013. The note regulates the labelling requirements for all telecommunication and radio devices when published. The regulations remain similar with the addition of e-labelling.
- The label, which must be legible and protected against damage, shall be affixed to the devices before being placed on the market;
- Against payment of a fee, it is possible (but not mandatory) to obtain the labels from ICASA.
- If the labels are produced and added by the manufacturer, the latter must send a request letter to ICASA previously. ICASA will then send a written response confirming that the request has been approved.
- The label must bear the ICASA logo and certificate number (TA XXXX-YYYY). The minimum size for the logo must be 3 x 3 mm and for the certification number 1 x 1 mm. The height to width ration of the label overall must be 1:2.
- E-labeling also must be requested in written form. ICASA will issue a formal letter for approval. The documentation must clearly indicate how to access the e-label, which must be displayed either:
- during the power up of the device,
- in the device system information page,
- in the device help menu of the device.